I'm a new fan of dooce.com, along with the million or so other people out there following (and critiquing) her every move. I'd like to think that someday this little tome will be my legacy that the throngs will read and be inspired by, but for now I'll suffice with a fan-club of family members. She recently posted this little marriage questionnaire and thought I might as well branch out from the tales of baby poop and baby babble to reflect on that thing that started it all...my significant other.
What are your middle names?
I used to not be, but am now very proud of mine - Benson - my maternal grandmother's maiden name. 'Laurence' is from a long lineage of the Olivier's and yes....distantly related to the Sir.
How long have you been together?
Four and a half years.
How long did you know each other before you started dating?
If you count the time span from the first emails and phone calls to when we met in person and knew we would be together "from now on" - two weeks.
Who asked whom out?
It was a mutual understanding, but I'm also very proud of the fact that I asked him to marry me.
How old are each of you?
I am 30 and Michael is almost 33, but deep down he is really 12.
Whose siblings do you see the most?
Probably mine, but we have managed to locate ourselves at least 8 hours (flying or driving) away from every single family member, so it is not often enough.
Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?
Currently balancing marriage with parenthood and finding time and energy for both.
Did you go to the same school?
I'm a Tarheel girl and he went to this little hippy school in Swannanoa, Warren Wilson College. Luckily, he escaped the patchouli funk and still showers...occasionally.
Are you from the same home town?
I was born in Colorado, but lived in Asheville most of my life. He was born and raised in Flint, MI. I really don't know how he ended up so cool.
Who is smarter?
It depends - he is better at Jeopardy and crossword puzzles. I excel at directions and Calculus. But, unlike him, I am smart enough not to brag about being a Mensa.
Who is the most sensitive?
He's a Pisces, that should explain it all. I, on the other hand, am an overbearing, heartless Virgo.
Where do you eat out most as a couple?
It used to be this fabulous, upscale restaurant in town called Table. But then we had a kid. Now it is the super cheap, super addictive Mexican place called Papas & Beer.
Where is the furthest you two have traveled together as a couple?
Strasbourg, France.
Who has the craziest exes?
His exes include a Mormon and a Greek. Mine include a carbo-loading cheater. We might be even.
Who has the worst temper?
Luckily, we keep each other in check and are able to laugh things off, but I'm one to hold a grudge and, therefore, think I have the potential to be more dangerous.
Who does the cooking?
I usually try to do the cooking, but he often saunters into the kitchen while I'm prepping and becomes what I lovingly refer to as a "kitchen Nazi." Once that happens, I know my place for my own safety is in the living room with a glass of wine.
Who is the neat-freak?
Definitely me - I can't leave dirty dishes in the sink and am still trying to get him to put the seat down. I know...good luck with that.
Who is more stubborn?
He is, because he doesn't think he's being stubborn. I at least know when to stop offering my opinion. Then again I take myself way too seriously.
Who hogs the bed?
Our 8 month old, but Michael retaliates by stealing all the covers.
Who wakes up earlier?
Again, our 8 month old. On the weekends, however, we have an understanding. One of us gets to sleep in Saturday, and the other on Sunday. This morning at 7:15 when Mason woke up, I proudly announced it was Michael's turn to get up because he has a show tonight and I KNOW I won't be sleeping in tomorrow.
Where was your first date?
My good friend's wedding in Raleigh, NC. I flew in from Colorado, he drove from Asheville. It was the first time we met. He knew he was in for trouble when I caught the bouquet.
Who is more jealous?
Of what?
How long did it take to get serious?
I think about a month after we met at the wedding he sent an email to the effect of: "There is no more talk about 'if'... we need to talk about when and where."
Who eats more?
Michael - he makes two meals and eats one and a half. But I can wolf down some dessert (it takes up less room!)
Who does the laundry?
Ah, the blessing of being a part-time, SAHM.
Who's better with the computer?
Michael likes to think that his Mac-prowess makes him a computer geek. Well, the fact that he's a computer geek does. But I kick ass at Excel.
Who drives when you are together?
Although he admits that for a woman, I am a great driver, I always let him. For a man, he is really not good at directions and needs me to navigate.
No comments:
Post a Comment