Since I've started this blog, the focus has mainly been on little Mason, but now I can actually indulge myself and talk about...well, myself and this whole pregnancy thing. Since my husband has left me at home alone for the evening while he is off gallivanting with his friends (ok, ok, "making music" as Mason says. To be fair, he did leave me supplied with a box of the finest truffles...good man!) I'm left here to put down a few thoughts on the strangest part of being with child.
I've already mentioned the weird cravings and food aversions in the first trimester and the unusually extended sicknesses, but I haven't even touched on the dreams. The dreams - hardly based in reality, but excruciatingly lucid. Here are a few teasers:
1) A month or so ago I had a very vivid dream in two parts. Part one involved a huge Olympic sized pool/gymnasium in which I had to shimmy across a high tightrope above the pool (hanging upside down), but it was also frozen, so I had to break through the ice on the rope in order to get to the other side. Part two - I was sifting through a huge pile of colored jersey tops, tanks, and two-layer skirts trying to find the perfect color combination for the outfit that I was going to wear to to JFK's funeral and I could NOT find the perfect color combination (woke up before learning whether or not I actually attended said funeral).
2) Last week I dreamed that Michael was walking down Interstate 40 (with no traffic apparently) with a belt or something that had a magnetic end that accidentally picked up a slide projector that had been stuck in a pot hole in the middle of the road. Once he pulled it out and opened it up, he found someones pictures in it and knew who the guy was - turns out the guy had thrown it out the window because he was headed to Bonnaroo and they didn't allow metal objects. Michael, kindly, offered to return it to him.
3) On the more horrible side - you know the plastic pointy things that go inside men's collars to keep the points pointy? I had a bunch of those that were embedded in my foot and I was pulling them out one by one, but each one had words of wisdom on them (though this may have had something to do with some trepidation about work and my feelings of inadequacy?)
4) I was in a museum and needed to use the bathroom, which turned out to be this self-contained pod. You know, one of those that are in modern parks that are made of one piece of plastic and disinfect themselves after use? Well this pod, once you got in and shut the door, whooshed you up 10 stories to the roof of the building, wherein you had a lovely view whilst doing your business. Of course, the effect of whooshing up and down 10 stories didn't really make you feel like going to the bathroom, so the whole ordeal was pointless.
5) I went to a huge J.Crew warehouse sale that was located in a lush, expansive, yet crumbling estate.
6) Two nights ago I dreamed that I went into labor in the middle of winter in Montrose, CO. There wasn't any hospital near by, so I remember driving along icy roads to a dental clinic where I hoped for the best. I woke up before finding out how it ended.
7) And last night was just weird beyond measure, but needless to say it involved flying, making out with Pierce Brosnan lying down in a street, dumpster diving and drinking 2 liter bottles of Sprite, and San Fransisco. Boggles the mind.
8) There was the all-to-real one involving 10+ tornadoes in Nebraska (where we live apparently). Michael and I had left Mason at home with Wes to get a closer look, then got chased by one and decided it wasn't a good idea, so returned to our house only to find it destroyed and then panicked when we couldn't find Mason. Luckily, he was sitting in his A-dack chair outside what was the house with only a few scratches. Amidst the chaos, Wes, had decided to walk down the street to get some coffee from Lydia.
I'll keep these updated. The craziness is only beginning...I remember that right at the very end of my pregnancy the dreams were just insane.
No comments:
Post a Comment