Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's

This time last year I recall that Michael and I were chatting on Gmail. Now, I'd had an inkling for a few weeks, but wasn't completely positive. I'd taken a pregnancy test the third week of March because I was drinking a lot of wine and had a conscience with a healthy dose of paranoia - three things that don't go well together. It showed up with an ever-so-faint plus sign - so much so that I convinced myself I'd imagined the second line and passed it off as a negative test. But I wasn't totally convinced.
When we were talking online on April 1st, we were exchanging April Fool's jokes and I quipped "I'm pregnant" knowing that it might actually be true. It went something like this (thanks hubby for digging into the archives for this one):

2:32 PM
MO: As for that poster, that might be the coolest thing. Ever. Cooler than, well...anything witty that I can think of right now.
2:33 PM Girls: no it's not
2:36 PM MO: April Fools!
Girls: yeah
MO: i am so funny.
Girls: I'm pregnant!
2:37 PMMO: THAT IS THE STUPIDEST AND CRUELEST APRIL FOOLS EVER!
MO: April Fools!
(This is never going to get old)
2:38 PM Girls: It was old about 10 minutes ago before you started saying it.
2:42 PM MO: April Fools!
You used to think me funny. Are you getting tired of me?
2:47 PM Girls: Yes.
APRIL FOOL'S!
I'm pregnant.
I am hilarious!
I can't stop laughing at myself
MO: No, really. You are pregnant.
I meant to tell you.
Girls: Ouch, my side hurts, not because I'm laughing so hard, but because I"m pregnant.
2:48 PM
MO: APRIL FOOLS! Girls: I've got an e-newsletter to finish
2:51 PM MO: that's not funny.


3:33 PM MO: So, you aren't really pregnant, right?

But on Sunday, April 4th - Easter Sunday - I took Mason out first thing in the morning to let Michael sleep in and also picked up ingredients to make a yummy pancake breakfast. Really, it was an excuse to pick up another pregnancy test because my gut was telling me (literally, and figuratively) that something was different.
When I got home, I took the test and left in on the counter while I finished making breakfast. When I saw the result, I almost passed out on the floor, but calmly walked away (albeit shaking head to toe) to set the table. After Michael woke up and we casually ate breakfast together chatting about this and that. When we started clearing the table and I off-handedly mentioned "Oh yeah, I'm pregnant." The rest is, well...history, as they say.

No comments: