We stopped by after picking up Mason at school and were met with a list of about 50 varieties to choose from. Of course I had no idea where to start (other than knowing I wanted my all time favorite snack-sized tomatoes, Sungolds). So I just kind of picked and choose colors, sizes, and harvest times, so that we had a variety throughout the summer. One of the owners, Harry, promptly set about educating me on all things tomato and garden. Here are a few things I learned:
- I learned that Michael should be peeing on our compost pile because the phosphorus in urine is essential for plants and that in 10 years we are looking at a phosphorus shortage that is cataclysmic and that "no one is talking about" (he said if we were really committed, I should be peeing in a bucket for the compost pile, too). Reminded me of my uncle for a minute. You can read more about it here.
- Then he set about explaining how to plant the starts and that the little white fuzzies at the bottom of each plant were actually preemie roots. Before planting, I needed to trim off the lower branches and bury each plant about half way up it's stalk and those white preemies would become roots and secure the plant.
- I learned that egg shells should not be put in a compost bin, but should be crumbled and put directly on the soil at the base of each plant because some mineral in the shells gets lost within a compost bin, but exerts the most direct nutrition possible if put directly on the soil.
- I learned that it wasn't too late to plant seeds directly into the soil - especially squash and the like.
- I learned that nightshades like potato and pepper plants an carry the tomato blight, which is possibly why our tomatoes failed after the first year in our West Asheville house. We had planted a couple of potato plants in an upper bed. He said that if any small bit of potato is left over, it can get your tomatoes.
When we got home I set about planting the 'maters and selecting seeds for the rest of the beds. Since it was too late and hot for a few varieties, especially lettuces, I opted to try out our putanesca zucchinis (can't wait until these babies are ready...my favorite!), some beans, dill, beets, leeks and cucumber. So far the tomatoes have been very happy.
1 comment:
Get yer rabbit-proof fencing material up in a hurry or else you'll be lookin' at nibbled produce!
Post a Comment