Friday, January 14, 2011

Kenzie - 1 Month

Since I didn't start blogging until a few months after Mason was born, I didn't get the benefit of my monthly updates in the early days. I didn't remember how much babies slept. For the first few weeks I could swear Kenzie has only been awake for maybe 2-3 hours a day. This worried me at first, then I decided to embrace it because soon enough she'll be running around non-stop like Mason and with Mason and I'll miss these days.
She seems to be a great sleeper and has only had a few "rough" nights where she's hard to put down (I think gas is the culprit) and wakes up every 3-4 hours or so. I would dare say I'm sleeping as well as I did with Mason at 6 months. She does make a lot of noise, though, which makes her a challenging bedfellow. One night Michael said "is there any way you can make her be quiet?" If you mean stuffing a sock down her throat and risking choking her, then no, honey. She sometimes sounds like a honking goose, sometimes a a grunting football player, sometimes a cackling...something. Weird. I should record them just so she'll believe me in 16 years.
At first the doctor was a little worried about her weight gain, but nothing a little on demand-boob-out-24/7-for-three-weeks can't fix! I'd say she's close to 11 lbs now.
How fast a month goes by! My early days of paranoia/anxiety over all the have to go through all over again with her (the crawling, talking, walking, sickness, etc) has given way to normalcy. I can't believe how fast it has all gone by with Mason, so I'm trying to enjoy it. Mason frequently asks why Kenzie can't walk or talk. Don't worry, buddy, she will in no time. Instead he incessantly wants to "kiss Kenzie."
Her first smile came at 3 weeks, right after a good nap when she was calm and realized who I was. Now they are coming more consistently - sometimes 3 at a time. It's nice to realize that there is a little light of recognition and pleasure behind those eyes. Slowly she is coming into her own personality and awareness, which is amazing to see. I never would've thought that Mason would be who he is...the little ham.
Within the first two weeks of her life she met my entire family who were all here for the holidays. It was quite a house full, but we were glad to show her off (and immensely grateful for the extra entertainment/hands/helpers to hang out with Mason while we got our routines with a newborn down.
She's already had her first acne and is currently fighting a mini-cold with some nose congestion and pseudo-coughing. The most amazing thing has been her uncanny likeness to me at this age. Can you tell the difference?

No comments: