Friday, April 15, 2011

Kenzie - Month 4

I just read back to compare where Mason was at 4 months when I first blogged about it here. Seems she is right on track, though just now becoming verbal, which is entertaining. She has just this week started what they call "razzing" where she basically spits bubbles with a gurgling/sighing sound at the same time. It is just about the cutest darned thing.
(tech-savvy husband will insert voice recording here)
Today she woke up and starting "talking" like this:
(tech-savvy husband will insert voice recording here)
This girl loves to be naked. And loves to be outside. Hopefully a future as a nudist running through the WWC woods at dawn isn't the direction she's going in - though if it is...more power to her. Whenever we change her diaper, we give her a long stretch of naked-time where she just kicks around in the crib like she's been liberated. Of course, we have to keep a dry diaper strategically placed because she will inevitably pee, which she has on the mattress many times already. She tends to squirm around, so this is actually a very difficult task. She also loves her tummy time and has routinely turned from front to back as if it isn't a big deal (and has almost gone from front to back). What are we in for?
This week I also moved her up to the 6-9/12 month clothes. Although she had many cute 3-6 month things, it was getting a little ridiculous to leave her onesies unsnapped, just so she could wear them. As with all wardrobe shifts, I found a new batch of clothes I am completely in love with. Many thanks to Jeff & Leanne for gifting us Olive's old clothes. Ok, so there is a lot of pink, but it is manageable pink. And I didn't buy it, so I'm not making her "girly" on purpose.
We are routinely putting her down at 7pm every night. I think that's one mistake we made with Mason is we always kept him up too late (mind you, that was 8 or 9pm), but still...it always seemed to take longer to put him down than her. Granted, she's not a good sleeper during the day anymore. Gone are the days of 10 hour naps. No, no! She does a quick 20 minute nap in the car on trips into town and quickly wakes up whenever we open the door. I've succumbed to using the "baby crack swing" far too often, but I think even that is not working anymore. She is a tricky sleeper! But hopefully it's just a phase and she'll have more routine naps again.
I'm curious to see what she weighs, but it has to be in the 15-16 lbs range. Her hair is starting to thin along the back and sides - like old man hair - and seems to have light brown roots, which is interesting. I can't tell if she will loose it all and it will come back like Mason's or if the dark hair will win out. We are also waiting on her eye color, which currently sits at a bright blue. Mason's tended to be more dark, stormy gray, blue all along, so it didn't surprise me that it changed to hazel. Kenzie's really seem blue, so perhaps Dad's genes won out this time.
She is very attentive now when we sit her propped in the chair with the boppy behind her every morning as we do our breakfast routine. I think she is really taking in the process of making coffee and oatmeal. Or maybe it's just that the absence of a toddler in the house allows her to focus more carefully on what the adults are doing instead of dodging the constant barrage of hugs and kisses.

1 comment:

Spud said...

I'm so happy to hear you are giving Olive's clothes a second life! I enjoy your Kenzie updates and can't believe that very soon I'll have another little one of my own...