Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Kenzie - Month 12 (5:18PM EST)

It's here. The one year old (no, not a future table dancer!)
I don't think it has even registered to me yet that a whole year of her life has gone by and that the lump of wiggly baby we met last December is now a (almost) walking, babbling, climbing, beautiful albeit sneaky little girl. Boy, are we in for trouble.
Our girl is definitely fearless. The other night I was cleaning the kitchen with my back to the windows and Zola started whining and Kenzie was quiet, so I knew something was up. I turned around to find that she had pushed up the step stool to the art table, crawled up on top of it and was standing behind the sink looking at me with a handful of colored pencils in her left hand.
She loves going up and now down stairs. Her new favorite game is also climbing up on top of the little red rocking chair, standing on it and rocking back and forth. While most mothers (and maybe a grandfather or two) might have a conniption over this proclivity towards danger, I merely tuck the back legs under a chair so it doesn't rock all the way back and let her keep on doing it.
Her understanding of words is impressive and she has started clapping her hands...especially every time we say "Yayyyyyyy!!!" She also understands "kiss" and leans in, open-mouthed, to our face. She hasn't really gotten the puckered kiss yet so it is always a little juicy, but we are working on it. She loves making noise and has figured out that the pot lids make wonderful sounds.
Kenzie is finally tall enough and has gotten the knack of the little bicycle and pushes or rides it around the house. I think she realizes how cool walking is going to be. She has even taken a step or two and re-balanced herself. Not quite up to multiple steps yet, but we are encouraging her. Even Mason has helped her along and I sometimes find him walking backwards holding her arms as she tottles along.
It is so incredible to me how much changes in a year - from a completely helpless blob is turning into an adorable little girl....but I'm not the least bit biased.

No comments: